Basilica of Sant’Ubaldo
The church, documented as far back as the 13th c., was restored in the early 16th c.
The convent was built in the same period and given over to the Regular Lateran Canons. The Canons were replaced by the Passionist Fathers (1786) and then in 1816 by the Friars Minor. The exterior of the complex, apart from the main doorway, is devoid of ornament. The cloister is very suggestive, now without the frescoes that once decorated it. The interior, which has been altered several times, has five naves. In the basilica are kept the “Ceri” of Gubbio. Above the high altar, can be seen, inside a Neo-Gothic urn, the incorrupt body of Ubald, patron Saint of Gubbio (who died in 1160).
Among the paintings present in the church the following are worthy of note: the “Baptism of Christ” by Felice Damiani; the “Transfiguration and Saints”, partial copy of Raphael by Giovanni M. Baldassini (1585); the “Madonna and Child between St. Ubald and St. John the Baptist” by Salvi Savini (1610); “St. Ursula” by Allegrini. There are beautiful stained glass windows (1922) depicting the “Stories from the Life of St.Ubald”.