Church of San Domenico
From the documents we know that a church dedicated to St. Martin existed on this site as early as the 11th c.
The present building was erected at the end of the 13th c. and conceded to the Dominicans. In 1339 the church was extended. Around the middle of the 15th c. it was enlarged still further with the building of the present presbytery beyond the old city walls. In the 18th c. the interior underwent a radical transformation. Among the works preserved in the church the following are worthy of mention: the wall decorations of the first two chapels on the right and on the left (14th -15th c., among which the “Stories of St. Peter the Martyr” from Nelli’s studio, and a late 14th c. “Coronation of the Virgin”); the frescoes (1546-57) in the Lombards’ chapel (4th on the left); “St. Vincent Ferrer”, a painting on wood attributed to Jacopo Bedi (5th chapel on the left); the “Mary Magdalene” (1612) by Giovanni Baglioni (6th chapel on the left); the “Tre Regni” (“The Three Kingdoms”) (1603) by Felice Damiani (left transept); the “Communion of the Apostles”, a painting on wood attributed to Giuliano Presutti (7th chapel on the right). Very interesting are also the lectern in the choir and the choir itself, partly inlaid by Pierangelo di Antonio, and partly gilded (16th c.).