Church of the Vittorina
Built on the spot where, according to tradition, St. Francis met the wolf of Gubbio.
It seems the church was given to the Saint by Bishop Villano at the beginning of the 13th c. Around 1240 they left it to the Clares. In 1538 the nuns gave the building in perpetuity to the Company of S. Maria della Vittorina. The interior is almost all frescoes. The ceiling decoration belongs to the 16th c. Eugubine school. At the base of the vault the “Stories of the Virgin” are depicted in 14 panels. Numerous votive frescoes, mostly from the beginning of the 16th c., cover the side-walls of the church. Behind the beautiful stone altar, is painted a “Crucifixion” attributed to Orlando Merlini. Other paintings can be found in the side-chapel (“Stories of St. Francis”, dated 1639; “Madonna and Child with Saints”, a canvas by Giovanni M. Baldassini).