The present building, built on the site of a previous Romanesque church, dates back to the 13th and 14th c.
Around the circular window the façade bears reliefs with symbols of the Evangelists and with the Agnus Dei. The interior, with a single nave, with no transept and with transverse arches supporting the pitched roof, is the result of renovation carried out at the beginning of the 20th c. The church is rich in paintings by 16th c. artists from Gubbio (the Nuccis, the Basilis), but also by non- local artists (Sinibaldo Ibi, Giuliano Presutti, Dono Doni). Most significant is the baroque chapel which opens up in the middle of the wall on the right: it contains frescoes by Allegrini and a canvas (“La Nascita della Vergine”- “Birth of the Virgin”) by Gherardi. On the left of the high altar is the Seat of the Magistrates, with mock marquetry by Benedetto Nucci. In the choir can be found the Episcopal Throne, carved round about the middle of the 16th c. The late Roman sarcophagus under the high altar contains the remains of San Giacomo and San Mariano, incumbents of the church. On the cathedral walls can still be seen traces of frescoes from the 14th and 15th c. The wall paintings in the apse, on the triumphal arch and in the left-hand chapels are works by Augusto Stoppolini (1916-18).