Monastery of Sant’Ambrogio
Hermits who had previously lived scattered around the Gubbio area came to settle in this monastery in 1331.
In 1342 Bishop Peter upgraded it from a hermitage to a monastery. An intense religious life developed there, especially when Blessed Arcangelo Canetoli went to stay there (1498-1513). His body rests under the high altar of the church. In the monastery of St.Ambrose are also preserved the mortal remains of Bishop Agostino Steuco, a 16th c. Gubbio philosopher. Among the works of art of particular interest are: in the church a canvas by Annibale Beni; in the sacristy the “Crucifixion”, a 14th c. fresco. The architecture of the complex testifies to a succession of alterations: on the 13th c. foundations Renaissance and baroque modifications have been carried out. The site of the monastery is remarkable, clinging as it is to the steep slopes of Monte Calvo.