Standing opposite the Cathedral, it is the result of the enlargement and modification of a group of mediaeval buildings
In fact it was built, from 1476, in Renaissance form, by order of Federico di Montefeltro, according to the plans of Francesco di Giorgio Martini from Siena. The work was completed under Guidobaldo. The walls of the previous buildings, including the old townhall, are easily visible from the outside, especially on the side facing the valley.
Inside the palace one finds a stupendous courtyard, which corresponds to the area previously occupied by the old townhall square. Below, on three sides, run the slender arches of the portico supported by columns and pillars at the corners; the floor above is provided with elegant architraved windows divided by pilasters. At the moment it is possible to visit the rooms on the ground floor, where fireplaces and other architectural features can be seen, as well as the basement, where interesting archaeological finds have been made. Other wings of the palace are used to house temporary exhibitions.